There were some local boys interested in training for a possible future in the navy. In May 1943 word circulated around town that a Corps might be organized. A meeting took place in June with the result of 70 applications. That summer about twelve boys along with two officers attended Camp Buchan near Point Prim in eastern PEI for a 2-week camp. In August the owner of the Crystal Rink, Harold Gaudet, offered the facility for drilling purposes during the fall months.
After this preliminary interest and preparation a meeting was called in November 1944 to determine whether a Corps should be officially formed. J. Watson MacNaught, chairman for the Prince County Committee of the Navy League introduced Commander Charles McKenzie, Senior Naval Officer in PEI, as the special speaker. Chief Justice Thane Campbell moved that the Interservice Committee establish a Corps in Summerside. The motion was carried. In December 1944 the Town Council showed its support by contributing $50 to the Summerside branch of the Navy League.
It wasn't until May 1945 that an enrollment meeting was held. Sixty boys signed up. The Civilian Committee required for the Sea Cadet Corps was comprised of J. W. MacNaught, L. W. Hancock, Lucas Allen, D. F. MacNeill, Capt. Basil Kelly, Judge L. G. Lewis, and John E. Campbell. The officers were Ferno Rogers as commander along with Sydney Heckbert, Norman Macdonald, and John MacNeill.
The summer of 1945 about 19 of the cadets attended the 2-week camp at Waterside near Pownal Bay. The new harbour craft that had been built in Summerside for HMCS Queen Charlotte in Charlottetown was the training vessel.
|Related Articles||Related Images||Related Memories||Related Websites||Inflation Calculator|
|Home Page||Site Map||Contact Us||Wyatt Heritage